Oct 6, 2020

USA: Madness (+ Hope). Three #Wolves Killed for Taking a Wrong Turn | Center for Biological Diversity

---- Forwarded message ----
From: Kierán Suckling, Center for Biological Diversity <bioactivist@biologicaldiversity.org>
Date: Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 4:33 AM
Subject: Three Wolves Killed for Taking a Wrong Turn
Center for    Biological    Diversity   
Give Now »

Gray wolf

Hi Liz,

Six wolves were spotted earlier this year in Colorado. Three have now been killed, maybe even shot on sight.

Those three wolves made the mistake of crossing into Wyoming, where it's legal to kill them throughout most of the state.

Wolves shouldn't be killed just for crossing boundaries they can't see.

Please support our fight for wolves with a gift to the Predator Defense Fund.

It's been decades since wolves raised pups in Colorado. The sightings this year gave hope to those who dearly wish to see the animals return.

But now half are gone, and the whereabouts and health of the other three are unknown.

The plight of these wolves points to the madness that has taken hold in states like Wyoming. In 85% of the state, wolves are designated as predatory animals and can be shot on sight year-round. In the remaining 15% of the state where a wolf-hunting license is required, it costs an in-state resident just $21 to kill a wolf.

And it's about to get much worse for gray wolves across the lower 48. Their loss of Endangered Species Act protection is imminent. We expect a final delisting rule in just weeks.

But despite the carnage in Wyoming and other northern Rocky Mountain states, hope remains.

Washington state will soon have rules that limit when wolves can be killed. California's Lassen pack, the only one in the state, grew by at least eight new pups this summer. And in the Southeast a legal victory we secured last week means the government must put a new red wolf recovery plan in place.

Wolves can come back and thrive. If we just give them the chance.

We're gearing up for the fight of a lifetime on their behalf — and we know we can win.

Our battles are long, but we're not going anywhere. Not when so many wolves and other species are counting on us.

Please support this lifesaving work with a gift to the Predator Defense Fund.

For the wild,

Kierán Suckling

Kierán Suckling
Executive Director
Center for Biological Diversity


P.S. These next few weeks are a critical time for wildlife. Much is at stake, and we'll be fighting ongoing battles. The best way to protect wolves and all wildlife is by starting a monthly donation.

Donate now to support the Center's work.     
Photo courtesy of John and Karen Hollingsworth, USFWS.
Center for Biological Diversity
P.O. Box 710
Tucson, AZ 85702
United States